Gucci releases the latest edition of its CHIME Zine and joins the Generation Equality Forum
• CHIME Zine No.3 will amplify the voices of creators and activists from womenled movements around the world
• Gucci and CHIME FOR CHANGE continue to support women on the frontlines of COVID-19 recovery through new grants to non-profit partners
Continuing its work to convene, unite and strengthen the voices speaking out for gender equality through its longstanding CHIME FOR CHANGE campaign, Gucci is pleased to release the latest issue of its CHIME Zine, drive bold impact on gender equality through participation in the landmark Generation Equality Forum, and announce this year’s key CHIME FOR CHANGE grantees.
CHIME ZINE ISSUE NO. 3
Building on CHIME’s ongoing commitment to amplify the voices of activists and artists who are fighting for gender equality, the latest issue of the CHIME Zine debuts today, focusing on women-led movements around the world. Contributions highlight grassroots organizing and movement-building, including the Women’s Strike in Poland, #EndSARS in Nigeria, the fight against femicide in Turkey, the young feminist resistance movement in Egypt, and the feminist art and comic scene in Italy. Limited print quantities will be available at the Gucci Garden in Florence, the Gucci Wooster Bookstore and Dashwood Books in New York, and within select editions of MISSION Magazine’s upcoming Spring/Summer issue. The digital edition is available on Gucci Equilibrium, Gucci’s platform dedicated to social and environmental impact (https://equilibrium.gucci.com/zine-issue-03/).
Edited by organizer and author Adam Eli and art directed by visual artist MP5, this latest edition of the CHIME Zine includes essays, interviews and artwork highlighting amongst other topics: the importance of visual symbols in social movements; upholding the tradition of resistance in Egypt for a new generation; how women and marginalized groups powered Nigeria’s #EndSARS movement; the women’s uprising in Poland; the need for global attention to the epidemic of femicide in Turkey; confronting the stigma around sexual violence; and the importance of preserving the history of the radical queer feminist zine culture of the 1990s and 2000s in the digital age.
To further drive global impact on gender equality, Gucci is pleased to have joined the Generation Equality Forum as the private sector lead on the Feminist Movements & Leadership Action Coalition. Convened by UN Women and co-hosted by the Governments of Mexico and France in partnership with youth and civil society, the Generation Equality Forum is designed to accelerate actions and global commitments toward gender equality by 2026. Despite some important gains in the twenty-five years since the historic World Conference on Women in Beijing in 1995, not a single country has achieved gender equality, and COVID-19 has exacerbated this lack of progress. Bringing together member states, civil society, corporations, youth-led and international organizations and philanthropies, the Generation Equality Forum is a moment for global mobilization to finally achieve the human rights of all women and girls. Action Coalition members will collaborate to propose a targeted set of concrete actions within the five-year period of 2021-2026 to ensure that equality for all women – including queer women, transgender women, non-binary women, women of color, disabled women, women refugees, young women, Indigenous women, women in the Global South – is at the center of the global agenda for COVID recovery and beyond. A complete list of all Action Coalitions and leaders may be found here.
The actions for the Feminist Movements & Leadership Action Coalition are focused on the following four themes:
• Increasing funding to feminist and women-led organizations, funds, activists and movements;
• Expanding and protecting women’s roles in civic spaces across all domains, including online;
• Increasing intersectional gender parity in decision-making and leadership in all aspects of public life, including expanding gender transformative and inclusive laws and policies;
• Strengthening resources and creating safe spaces for adolescent girl and young feminist leaders and their movements and organizations to ensure meaningful participation in decision-making processes.
The Generation Equality Forum will kick off in Mexico City from 29-31 March, and commitments will be showcased during the Paris Forum in June.
2021 CHIME FOR CHANGE GRANTEES
In 2020, CHIME FOR CHANGE directly supported nearly 30,000 women and girls through more than 80 grassroots women’s organizations addressing the increase of gender-based violence and discrimination during the COVID-19 pandemic. With gender inequities magnified and global economic resources concentrated elsewhere during the COVID-19 pandemic, CHIME FOR CHANGE is pleased to continue critical funding to nonprofit partners working with women-led grassroots organizations on the frontlines to protect and uphold the safety, health and human rights of women around the world, including women of color, transgender women, Indigenous women and disabled women.
2021 grantees include:
• Global Fund for Women: continuing partnerships with four regional feminist funds— Fondo Semillas in Mexico, ELAS Fund in Brazil, HER Fund in Hong Kong, and the Mediterranean Women’s Fund—to strengthen and sustain feminist organizing as the COVID-19 pandemic heightens the need for feminist digital tools and technology;
• Equality Now: supporting activists in the Middle East, North Africa and India in delivering campaigns in their communities to affect cultural and legal change that will shape a fairer future for women and girls across the regions;
• Ms. Foundation for Women: increasing funding and capacity building for movements and organizations led by and centering girls of color that are addressing safety, health, and economic justice within communities across the United States;
• UN Women: supporting the Generation Equality Forum to mobilize a global coalition towards progress for gender equality;
• mothers2mothers: expanding health services for women and children in Ghana , and recruiting, training and employing Mentor Mothers—local women living with HIV who work as essential frontline health workers, delivering lifesaving health services and education for women, parents / caregivers and their families and communities;
• D.i.Re: identifying new interventions and policies to combat gender-based violence in Italy and strengthening the work of their network of anti-violence centers;
• BEAWARENOW: engaging students in Italy in an information and awareness campaign to combat gender-based violence through different forms of artistic disciplines and new technologies;
• Artolution: Providing crisis-affected women and girls in Bangladesh, Colombia, Jordan, Uganda, and the United States with collaborative, community arts-based programs to share their experiences, communicate the importance of equity, healing, resilience, and help reclaim the agency to shape their own story.
About CHIME FOR CHANGE:
CHIME FOR CHANGE is a global campaign founded by Gucci in 2013 to convene, unite and strengthen the voices speaking out for gender equality, with a focus on Education, Health and Justice. To date, the campaign has raised $17.5 million to support projects and advocacy in 89 countries, through the funding of 442 projects with 162 nonprofit partners. CHIME FOR CHANGE aims to inspire participation in a collective community, bringing people together across borders and generations in the fight for equality.
About Gucci Equilibrium:
Gucci Equilibrium is our commitment to generate positive change for people and our planet. Powered by creativity and collaboration, we are reducing our environmental impact and protecting nature, while also prioritizing inclusivity and respect, so that everyone in our global Gucci community is free to express their authentic, diverse selves. As we approach our 100th anniversary, we are moving forward into the coming decades with an ongoing commitment to reinforce our culture of purpose, demonstrating our values through innovative pathways towards social and environmental sustainability. Gucci Equilibrium unifies the principles we uphold and the actions we pursue to treat our world and each other better, for our collective future. For more information visit equilibrium.gucci.com and discover Gucci’s Instagram dedicated to social and environmental sustainability at Instagram.com/GucciEquilibrium.